Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Brooklyn's Broken Arm . . .

So, it is time that I posted about our latest drama. It is actually kind of hard to post about something that is so sad. Last Saturday, little Brooklyn fell and broke her arm. It all started when I told Brooklyn that she was stinky and that I needed to change her diaper. She took off, running away from me, and went around the bed (where I couldn't see her.) Next, I hear a fall, and her cry. By the time I get over to her (we think that she tripped on some pillows that were on the ground), she is standing up, holding her arm and crying this awful cry. I hold her for a minute and calm her down, and then I changed her diaper. After I was done, she rolled over and tried to get up using her left arm. She couldn't do it, and started crying again, holding her little arm. Ben and I rushed her to Urgent Care across the street. I am bawling worse than Brooklyn at this point, it was very traumatic. They take X-Rays, and the doctor says she sees a break in the radius bone right in the middle of her arm. They splint her up (with four of us holding her while she FIGHTS hard) and put a sling on her, and we head home. It was so sad to watch our little girl be in so much pain, and especially not be able to do the things that she normally does, like push her stroller, and drink from her cup. This is Brooklyn on Saturday after we got her home, she was pretty mellow for 2 days straight:

This is Monday, she seems to be doing better and getting pretty good with one hand. She would come up and tell us though, "Arm huwt."

She liked her sling because it had "dogs and kids" - Snoopy. : )
The Urgent Care doctor referred us to an orthopedic doctor, just so we were with a specialist. They took some more X-rays, and this is what they found:

Definite breakage!!!


So, little Miss Brooklyn has a new hard splint and a new sling. We go in again next week for more X-rays (just to check the progress), and she has to wear her splint for 3 weeks, but should be completely healed in 6 weeks!

She seems to be in good spirits . . .

Okay, side note: the orthopedic doctor said that kids this age heal 3 times faster than adults. And, that she would probably heal just fine on her own without anything. But because we have ONE CRAZY LITTLE LADY on our hands, he thought it best that we splint her up to avoid further injury. Smart move on his part, because she is one ACTIVE little girl, and I'm sure that this broken arm won't slow her down too much! : )


7 comments:

Little Family Fun said...

Oh Jill! I can't believe this happened the same weekend!
Maybe Brooklyn and Dallin were meant for each other!
I'm so sorry to hear your traumatic experience and hope Brooklyn continues to heal well.
And I agree, what a blessing that these kids are so resilient and heal so quickly.

Unknown said...

I think these things are harder on parents sometimes! So sorry to hear about it. Kids are crazy and do crazy things. Not a whole lot you can do about it so don't feel too bad. :)
She sure is cute and looks like she's doing great despite the fall!
Hope it all heals up properly and quickly!

Watts Happening said...

I am so sorry she broke her arm. It just about kills you as a parent. When my son Micheal broke his leg it was fun to look at the xrays each time they took some, because of their age, the bone growth is so fast it is amazing!!! You learn a lot raising these kids. Hang in there mom!

Bree said...

Ohhh...poor thing!! When Avri saw Brooklyn's picture she said, "Ow!"
Hopefully it heals fast!

Katie said...

We're so sorry to hear about Brooklyn!

Kandis said...

SOOOO SAD! Poor little Brooklyn. I'm surprised with all of Kenedee's craziness that she hasn't done the same thing. Brooklyn's sling is so little and cute if there's such a thing. I bet it won't stop her for long!

Requel said...

That is really sad. Nothing worse when you can't help them. Good luck!

Watts Music


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed