Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Random thoughts . . .

So, there are three things that I wanted Brooklyn to do before the baby came:

1. Get rid of the binky. CHECK!!! It happened in August, and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - it just threw her sleeping habits off for awhile.

2. Get her to go to sleep on her own. Meaning, she goes in her room (at a decent hour) lays down and goes to sleep by herself. Without me holding her hand, without us laying by her, etc. We are working on this one. And, hopefully, with the help of the Super Nanny's sleep separation technique, we should have this accomplished too.

3. Have her potty trained, so I don't have to worry about changing two kids' diapers. : ) I decided to bite the bullet and give this a shot too.

Well, this is going to question my sanity. It is so frustrating to give the whole speech about being a big girl, wearing big girl underwear, explaining the chart and rewards, etc. just to have three accidents in an hour, twice. Yesterday and today. Yep, I took her potty every half hour to 40 minutes, NOTHING. Then about five minutes later, she says "Oh no, Mommy!" Dun, dun, dun. Two times it happened right after I had taken her off the toilet and pulled up her underwear. We were still standing in the bathroom for crying out loud. : ) So, is it just me or is she really not ready? I was hoping to train her here in our apartment, rather than in our new house, with new floors. : ) And, I don't know if I can even deal with number 2 accidents. I found this little quiz off of the Mayo Clinic to see if your child is ready for potty training. Let's see here:

Is your child ready? Ask yourself these questions:

■Does your child seem interested in the potty chair or toilet, or in wearing underwear? Sometimes . . .

■Can your child understand and follow basic directions? Yes.

■Can your child ask simple questions? Yes.

■Does your child stay dry for periods of two hours or longer during the day? Does he or she wake from naps dry? NO!!!

■Does your child have fairly predictable bowel movements? No.

■Does your child tell you through words, facial expressions or posture when he or she needs to go? No.

■Is your child uncomfortable in wet or dirty diapers? No.

■Can your child pull down his or her pants and pull them up again? I'm sure she could if I put her in sweats. : )

If you answered mostly yes, your child may be ready for potty training. If you answered mostly no, you may want to wait awhile — especially if your child has recently or is about to face a major change, such as a move or the arrival of a new sibling. A toddler who opposes potty training today may be open to the idea in a few months.

I was reading another quiz and it asked, "Can your child sit still and focus on one thing for longer than a couple of minutes?" My answer, "I WISH!!!"

So, do I keep trying even though it is not clicking, and she obviously isn't ready? Or, do I wait until everything else calms down in our lives? Like once we get settled in our new house, once the baby comes, I could go on and on. All of you moms out there who have been through this, I would love your advice. For now, hope that I don't go crazy. : )

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Ok Jill, here's my "expert" (ha, ha) opinion that many may disagree with, but I'm stickin with it....WAIT! In my two potty training experiences of stubborn children, I learned that it is pointless to train them before they are ready. I started both of them around 2 years and neither one were OFFICIALLY trained until 3 or later. Wyatt was actually pretty much there at almost three, and then we had Amy...and had to start ALL OVER AGAIN. The trick to potty training is training YOURSELF to be a patient and dedicated potty trainer. I'm not! To me, a potty trained child is one that will tell you WHEN they have to go and can wait long enough for you to find the closest bathroom. Not one that has to be asked every 1/2 hour and all outings planned around convenient bathroom locations. I would rather change a few diapers a day than deal with that...SO, that is why I will not be training Amy until she is 3. I don't care if the girl is pulling down her diapers and BEGGING me to potty train her before that...not happening until then! She may be ready, but I won't be.
And that's my very long and probably very unwanted advice, but there you have it! ;)
But if you are brave and decide to stick with it...GOOD LUCK!!!

Mcklendin Family said...

She doesnt sound ready. My advice wait. It took me a year to potty train Ashlynn. It was very hard. But one day it clicked. If she isnt dry when she wakes up then i WOULD WAIT. It really isnt worth the emotional roller coaster. No one goes to kindergarten in diapers is what I told myself. Good luck. Patience is such a hard thing for all of us.

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

Hey! I just saw your blog on your facebook. Send me your email and I will send you and invite to ours. Congrats on expecting #2!

My oldest was almost 3 when she got potty trained and after she decided she wanted to, NOT ONE ACCIDENT...it was glorious. My second, I potty trained earlier. She seemed ready and she wanted to be big like her sister. We had a lot more accidents and it was a lot harder. I'm a big fan of changing a few more diapers and not having the stress of remembering every few minutes to ask them if they need to go potty and then getting frustrated because of all the accidents and clean up.Potty training is not fun. It's so different for everyone. GOOD LUCK! You'll do great at whatever you decide to do.

Karen said...

I waited until my kids were ready. Then when they potty trained I had hardly any accidents. My boys were over 3 when they potty trained. Kirsten was almost 3. The daycare started her sooner than I wanted to and I had lots of accidents with her. I read a book once that said if you do it too soon you are only training yourself. Good Luck!

Watts Music


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed